With Step Ten, we begin our program maintenance, daily reviewing our attitudes, actions and words – watching out for FRED, and keeping FRED away! Who is FRED?
Fear, Resentment, EGO and Deceit.
Working the Tenth Step is like daily dusting and vacuuming; wiping up spills, sorting out clutter, and putting away what’s worth keeping, and relying on the daily help God gives. One of my favorite Bible passage explains how.
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends you,
and lead me along the path of everlasting life. Psalm 139:23-24 (NLT)
Refresher: An AA member in a meeting I attend developed a way to start working the Twelve Steps with AA literature. Again, on this step, I have added my suggestions, too. Remember we are making progress – not aiming for perfection.
STEP TEN: CONTINUED TO TAKE PERSONAL INVENTORY AND WHEN WE WERE WRONG PROMPTLY ADMITTED IT.
- Read in the Big Book from page 84 to 85 and take the action of Step Ten.
- Find the prayer of Step Ten and the “musts.”
- Be who you really are this week – no people pleasing games – total sincere honesty with love and kindness towards all.
- How can I best serve Thee –Thy will (not mine) be done.
- Read Step Ten in the Twelve and Twelve.
Hope the outline of how to work this step helps – Thanks for reading, and may the Lord strengthen all your steps! May the Lord God strengthen thee and me and help us to keep short accounts, this day!
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
Love in Christ,
Sober and Grateful